Academic writing aims to teach the student to express an opinion and generate ideas. Some of the works require deep research. For others, critical analysis of the material is crucial.
It is important to understand how to produce a good essay, research paper or lab report. If you would like to write a successful academic paper, it is very important to choose the right topic. The rights topic is the one that interests you and allows to find something new in the field. If you write about something that you dislike your paper will be poorly written.
Peculiarities of Essay Writing
Essays are one of the easiest academic works to produce. The students at college are often asked to prepare the essays. According to PaidPaper, here are some specific features the essay writing has:
- It does not require much research. Of course, an essay can be fully grounded on research, but that it not a must. The ability to see a bigger picture is more useful here.
- Most essays needs a thesis statement, and this is not an easy thing to write. Thesis statement writing is a separate skill students have to master.
- It has specific structure, depending on the type of essay. Personal reflection essay is simpler than contrast and comparison essay. Argumentative essays are the most complicated.
- An essay allows certain self-expression for a student. Often, students are asked to write the pieces of work where they simply present their thoughts about the topic. Other types of paper require solid evidence and support with references for each claim.
These are the main features an essay has. It is important to keep them in mind when preparing for writing an essay.
Research Paper Features:
Research papers can be written in any subject, from Math to Literature. research does not mean specifically “technical” topic or subject. What research does mean is a lot of relevant, scholarly sources, careful analysis, critical assessment and new findings based on this research.
Whatever type of research paper you are going to write, it should be produced stage by stage, in order not to mess everything up.
- Find your sources first. Check what sources are required by the Professor, and look for those. You may need scholarly, relevant, recent (not older than 5 years) sources that are peer-reviewed, or that are journals.
- You have to stick to rules of academic formatting style. Academic style is very complicated if one is not able to apply it correctly. After you have found your sources, make sure you reference them following the style, immediately. Referencing and formatting is a boring and time-consuming task, so better do that beforehand, otherwise you may lack time and will be forced to do that the last minute before submission, which is a great way to get a failing grade.
- Read all sources carefully, make notes, write down all your ideas while you are reading. Make sure you know what is the focus of your research, where you are going and what are your findings. Then you will need to put all that stuff down on the paper.
- Make sure you know what structure is required. Depending on the subject, topic, type of research and methods used, the structure of your paper may differ a lot. After you have decided on structure, make an outline and plan what information goes to what section of your paper. this is also a boring, but absolutely necessary part to complete.
- Proofread your paper twice before submitting. Firstly, check the sense of the paper, whether the argument is cohesive, whether all sentences are complete and you do not contradict yourself. Then, take a rest and proofread it for the second time to fix all typos.
If you you would like to succeed in academic writing you have to work hard every day. The writer has not only to know the rules, but be persistent enough to apply all of them correctly. For that, experience is needed, so you have to try again and again.