Inositol hexanicotinate also referred to as inositol nicotinate is a chemical compound which is made up of six molecules of niacin or nicotinic acid and one molecule of inositol place in between the structure. Inositol is an important B vitamin which has a major role in the body. It is available in drug stores as a dietary supplement which has numerous health benefits. When taken as a supplement it acts as a source of niacin or vitamin B3 in the body. Niacin and inositol together play a role in reducing cholesterol and triglycerides in the body, thereby preventing heart related diseases and keeping the heart healthy and fit. This is because they are responsible to transport the fats in the body to varied locations and thereby help in supplying the required energy to the body.
On the other hand inositol nicotinate is considered as ‘no flush niacin ‘which means that a person does not experience the painful sensation that is experienced with niacin while still receiving the same benefits of niacin supplement. Inositol nicotinate is absorbed intact into the stomach where it then gets hydrolyzed and breaks down into niacin and inositol. This results in niacin being released slowly into the blood stream thus avoiding the niacin flush symptom. Also another advantage of inositol nicotinate is that it produces HDL boosting effects very similar to niacin but with much less side effects. It is not a vitamin by itself but works together with other vitamins such as vitamin B6, B12, choline and methionine. Dietetic inositol is available as phytate and is mostly found in wheat bran and orange. Inositol is used in lowering levels of increased blood pressure and also to decrease levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides. Inositol nicotinate increase levels of HDL or good cholesterol in body thereby reducing risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Benefits of Inositol Hexanicotinate
1) Inositol nicotinate is used to lower cholesterol levels in the body by reducing LDL and increasing HDL thereby lowering rate of cardiovascular diseases and making heart a healthy and fit organ.
2) Inositol nicotinate also acts as a vasodilator and improves blood flow in arteries. Inositol releases a compound known as histamine which dilates arteries thus causing an increased blow flow to the heart.
3) Inositol is also used to treat different types of liver problems.
4) It is also used to lower glucose levels in blood stream thereby keeping a control on diabetes level of a person.
5) It is also used in treatment of migraine headaches
6) It is employed in treatment of blood disorders of brain in hospitals.
7) It is also very useful for the treatment of insomnia or sleeplessness and aides a person to sleep.
8) It is also employed in treatment of depression and anxiety in patients.
9) It also has properties which help in fighting cancer.
Inositol hexanicotinate is a better and improvised version of chemical compound compared to niacin which provides same health benefits as niacin but without disadvantage of niacin flush.